[thelist] copyright help

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Sun Apr 28 23:02:01 CDT 2002

What "trademark or service mark" was involved?

> (ii) you have registered the domain name in order to prevent the owner of
> the trademark or service mark from reflecting the mark in a corresponding
> domain name, provided that you have engaged in a pattern of such conduct; or

See above...

> (iii) you have registered the domain name primarily for the purpose of
> disrupting the business of a competitor; or

What business was involved?

> (iv) by using the domain name, you have intentionally attempted to attract,
> for commercial gain, Internet users to your web site or other on-line
> location, by creating a likelihood of confusion with the complainant's mark
> as to the source, sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement of your web site
> or location or of a product or service on your web site or location.
> [end quote]

What "mark" or "product" or "service" was involved?

> "Bad Faith" used in such conversations refers to these specific
> circumstances.

And you are correct. If the original poster (Martin Kuplens-Ewart) points out
that there was a trademark/service mark/product/service associated with the
domain name in question, then he would be right in pursuing its return. If not,
then he has nothing to stand on. Besides, the original point I was making was:
the owner of a domain name has the responsibility to keep it current. Letting
it lapse - then complaining that someone 'took' it from him - is invalid.

-Hugh