[thelist] Best/Good way to organize a website.

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 29 15:29:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Chris W. Parker" <cparker at swatgear.com>
[...]
> what way among you web people do you think is the best/most efficient
> way to manage content in terms of page layout/infrastructure? do you
> think it makes more sense to do it the first way? the second way? or a
> different way?
[...]

i hate query strings... i do everything i can to remove them from
play... not able to hack the install on a shared host, for my
personal site (http://roselli.org/adrian/), every page is its own file...

the file itself contains a variable for the page title, the meta
keywords, the meta description, the content, and any special
content (sidebars, etc.)...

this file also calls, via a traditional include call, a template file...
this template file calls, via a traditional include call, files to handle
the navigation, header, footer, breadcrumb, and general layout...

not only is this cake to manage the layout, but it's much easier to
create exceptions to my layout...  and i get a URL without query
strings and with a path that makes sense...

in your case, since both your examples require a unique file for
every page of content, the benefits of using my method include
better file structure, no query strings, and my breadcrumb script...

so instead of my template calling my content, my content calls my
template...

now, most of the professional sites i develop are fed from our CMS,
so i no longer have to worry about this...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself