[thelist] Mac/PC gamma setting differences

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 30 11:14:01 CDT 2002

In addition to my queries yesterday about Mac/PC color stuff as well as Mac
Photoshop/IE color differences, I'd like to post the email my designer sent
me today after doing some research.

-----------
from John Turner (working on a Mac),
turns out, you really cant control what the user will see. at least not
until gamma information is stored on each image you create.
what was going on was i was in photoshop which was set to 2.2 gamma. but my
monitor was set to 1.8. so when i left photoshop and viewed IE i saw a
fainter image.

the trick is to keep photoshop as is, as well as my monitor at 2.2. Then, in
photoshop there is actually the option to view what your working on will
look like on different platforms. i found that if i work with the previous
mentioned settings i can get a pretty good idea of what it will look like on
a mac when switch my "view" in photoshop. this is who i will toggle back and
forth.

bottom line: you cant have it both ways. either know what people will be
using when on your site, or find a happy medium.