[thelist] Flash and a database

Susan Wallace susanhw at webcastle.com
Tue Apr 30 23:03:00 CDT 2002

Thank you Eric, bread_man, and Chris for your help!

I have been through the links and information you all sent, I still have a
bit of confusion.

I am pretty sure I understand how getURL() would work - my overly simple
example would be I have a Flash file that looks and behaves like a Form,
when the button for sending the information in the Flash form is clicked, I
could use the GET method to send an URL string to an ASP or PHP page which
would then read the URL variables and do whatever it is I needed to do. (If
I am incorrect, please let me know.)

What I'm not real clear on yet is loadVariables()
I understand that it will read variables from a PHP or ASP page, however
the use of GET or POST with this function is what I am not grasping yet.

If I have an ASP page that reads a database and gets a product name, price,
description, what is it that I need to do on that ASP page in order to
create the variables for Name, Price, Description that the Flash can read?
Where would GET or POST fit into that?

Again - just the basics - I don't have a specific instance because I just
need to be able to explain the mechanics.

After you pointed me in the right direction, I followed links and found
lots of information on the "why" of XML, so that at least gives me
something to read. ;) For now, I am guessing that I should start with the
basics of Action Scripting? How hard will this be for me to understand if I
don't have Flash? That may seem like a stupid question, but I went through
tutorials on the Demo version, and then subsequently uninstalled it when I
realized it was not something for me. I don't really intend to use it a
lot, but it would be nice to know where to point someone if they ask. The
concept I understand, the tools I don't. :)

Last question: PHP on NT - good idea? or is it not ready for Prime Time?

Thanks again!

Susan Wallace