[thelist] Flash and a database

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed May 1 00:37:01 CDT 2002

>example would be I have a Flash file that looks and behaves like a Form,
>when the button for sending the information in the Flash form is clicked, I
>could use the GET method to send an URL string to an ASP or PHP page which
>would then read the URL variables and do whatever it is I needed to do. (If
>I am incorrect, please let me know.)

That is completely correct. You can have a form in a Flash movie that
the server cannot differentiate between a form in HTML.

>What I'm not real clear on yet is loadVariables()
>I understand that it will read variables from a PHP or ASP page, however
>the use of GET or POST with this function is what I am not grasping yet.

It works exactly like getURL with the following _important_
exception: loadVariables() sends data to the server and receives a
response without changing the location of the window. The Flash movie
stays in the window and waits to act upon the server's response.

>If I have an ASP page that reads a database and gets a product name, price,
>description, what is it that I need to do on that ASP page in order to
>create the variables for Name, Price, Description that the Flash can read?

When using loadVariables() an intelligible response could look something like:

product1=tonsil&price1=$79.95&description1=I'm figuring you might
need this more than me, thus the amazing price!

... in other words just name/value pairs.

>Where would GET or POST fit into that?

Good questions, all of these - sending variables to the file is
optional. It doesn't need to fit in.

>For now, I am guessing that I should start with the
>basics of Action Scripting?

If you know JavaScript, you won't have to concentrate on learning
ActionScript ... but rather learning what Flash can do w/0
ActionScript, then just getting familiar with the Flash specific
ActionScript properties and methods.

>  How hard will this be for me to understand if I
>don't have Flash? That may seem like a stupid question, but I went through
>tutorials on the Demo version, and then subsequently uninstalled it when I
>realized it was not something for me. I don't really intend to use it a
>lot, but it would be nice to know where to point someone if they ask.

I will be harsh and say you're obviously in denial ... Get over it!
You are all about Flash. Flash is among your blood, between it and
you, there is no distinction; one cannot exist without the other.
Once you accept it, everything will fall into place and after a
period of liberating exhilaration, it will just seem silly that you
spent so much effort trying to hide from reality. Welcome to the new
you!

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/