[thelist] I'm guessing this isn't possible with CSS2

Rachel Cunliffe rachel at cre8d-design.com
Wed May 1 17:27:26 CDT 2002

Hi there,

I'm hoping to clean up the code for a site I did last year (before wising up
on XHTML and CSS standards) -- http://www.junior.co.nz

I've been hunting around trying to figure out a way of laying out the boxes
which have one corner cut on the diagonal using CSS.

What I've come up with so far:

* make a class for a div which has a 1 pixel white border on each side
* make a small gif of a diagonal white line

If I have this as the background of the div, I'll still see the square
corner, as well as the diagonal line.
If I place the image inside the div, it'll sit inside the border - so I'll
still see the square corner

Do I need to absolutely position *everything* on the page?  Is this not a
smart move or is this better than tabular layout (with heaps of images that
don't always work in some browsers)?

tx
Rachel