[thelist] Paying for proposals?

Chris George chrisg at gsnet.com
Wed May 1 23:29:01 CDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 1, 2002, at 07:22 PM, Erik Mattheis wrote:

> At 1:55 PM -0600 5/1/02, Chris George wrote:
>> Do any of you charge for proposals?  Is this a bad idea?  What are your
>> results in doing so?
>
> I'd like to offer a differing opinion ... maybe it's different, maybe
> I'm talking about something other than a "proposal" ...

Erik,

This is more along the lines of all the sites we do - most of our
clients we've had for 2+ years (and quite a few at 4 years!) and come to
us once every year or so to get their site totally re-done.  In a way we
still 'bid', but very rarely have we actually been one design firm of
many.  They come to us with a "I want to do this; how much?" question
and trust what we come up with.  Lately they've become increasingly
ambitious (which is great!).

But, in having said that, because they're larger some of our clients
tend to enjoy the 'dog and pony show' (as one of them put it).

As for the amount of unbillable time, a day doesn't sound like much, but
like you say, coupled with quick tech-support, helpful advice, chit-chat
etc. it tends to add up to lots'o little bits of unbillable time... I
was looking for a segment of that currently unprofitable time that has a
distinct value to try and put a cost to that value.

<shrugs>

Good topic though, thanks for the insight.

Chris.