[thelist] Font Sizing

john-paul jwalton at four09.org
Mon May 6 16:59:00 CDT 2002

>> True. crappy looking websites come cheap. Good point.
> [ . . . ]
OK, lets go a little further. You show me the absolute best (visually)
totally accessible, 100% CSS, relative font, etc, etc. site you can find.
And I'll show you the best (visually) fixed-font size, table-based, not-100%
site I can find. And well make a little comparison about which is more
attractive.

> Isn't it possible to design an attractive website without excluding users
> unnecessarily?

Yes. I believe it is possible.
A) Spend the tons of time it takes to create a totally flexible, accessible
*and* attractive site.
B) Use the methods I described before for user stylesheet preferences in
conjunction with fixed pixel spec. Or something else that accounts for both
flexibility and aesthetic control.

> Allowing fonts to be resized excludes *no one.* Fixing them excludes *some*
> people. Is a fixed font size really the core of an attractive website? I
> think not.

True, but when user agents render relative fonts so differently in
relationship to images (which always stay the same number of pixels in
dimension), that it cripples the visual hierarchy of the page, it becomes a
problem.

> The choice is: which is more important, look and feel, or usability? Make
> your pwn chice; just know the consequences.

Very true. I agree with this statement. Know the consequences and consider
your audience. Although, you seem to be going against some of your own
statements by suggesting that look/feel and usability are mutually
exclusive.

> And if anyone would like to have a religious war about it, go read the
> archives. It's all been said.

Are you suggesting that because something has been talked about before, that
it is not worth continuing the discussion?

:: john-paul
:: music :: http://www.mmodule.com
:: collective :: http://www.four09.org