[thelist] Font Sizing

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue May 7 07:51:00 CDT 2002

Feingold Josh S wrote:
> So I guess it comes down to this:  if there is a large portion of
> sites
> which use "incorrect" methods and IT HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR A LONG
> TIME so
> that almost all browsers allow easy accommodation, and there is no
> reason
> for a user not to make the tweak, can we assume that it is safe to
> use these
> "incorrect" methods going forward?
>
> Josh

As far as I can see, it boils down to this:
- Don't use pt
- Use % or em for the content text at least - if the nav isn't
   readable people can guess, but the content should be resizable.
- the reason there are so many unreadable sites, is that the large monitors,
  and high resolutions became popular after developers got in the habit of
using px and pt.
  Also, beginning designers have no idea about these issues, so just go with
the default settings.
- You can keep on using them, along with all the other outdated coding
techniques.
- Don't forget that other browsers *do* allow px to be resized, so if you
rely on
   fixed font-size for your layout, it'll break on non IE browsers.

Cheers,
Richard