[thelist] Font Sizing

john-paul jwalton at four09.org
Tue May 7 09:34:01 CDT 2002

> See, the nice thing about a lot of web technologies is that much of
> the personalisation benefits which many companies spent a lot of
> time and money on can very simply be achieved by using the
> capabilities your browser *already has*. These will work fine,
> unless you explicitly break them.

Ok, you've mentioned this a couple times. I'll admit, I don't have a
complete understanding of all the browsers that this applies to. What
browsers are not be able to resize px-sized units?

My ideal situation would be able to spec font-sizes, etc that would display
correctly (to my spec) across browser/platform as a "default". Then, if the
user needs bigger or smaller sizes, they can use their browser to size them.
(By the way, I always make sites that gracefully stretch to accommodate
different text sizes.)

> And guess which makes the bigger business benefit - having a
> site which panders to the ego of a designer ...

I suppose this isn't really the place to get into a discussion about the
importance of design. However, I will say that Design has value. History has
proven this... why do you think corporations spend tons of dough of slick
marketing/branding? Because it's important. The web is no different.

> Because they recognise that flexibility in font size is A Good Thing
> which benefits others than just themselves and don't want to impose
> their egos on users. See the first point above.

I believe flexibility is a Good Thing, however, the methods in question
cannot be explicitly be The Right Thing To Do (yet) because there are too
many downsides.

:: john-paul
:: music :: http://www.mmodule.com
:: collective :: http://www.four09.org