[LONG] Cost of doing business was Re: [thelist] Whats it worth??

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue May 7 13:52:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Ms N Saidova wrote:

> And so did I. Haven't had the time to do all conversions to local
> (South African) *variables* yet, but it seems to be one hell of a
> tutorial! Thanks, Ben.

Well, I'm fairly certain at this point that I'm going to be writing full
copy for the site on this subject (waiting to hear back from the mods on
the approach that's best to take).

For that reason, I'd like to get some offlist feedback on:

- Costs unique to Commonwealth subjects, etc.
- The variables introduced when the independent is also guardian to others
  in their household, which as a single fellow I know little about (I've
  participated in childraising but have never been a full guardian)
- Cost of living in major international markets (Greater London,
  Manchester, Toronto, Calgary, Singapore, Johannesburg, Sydney, Helsinki,
  Amsterdam, Hamburg, Prague, [and perhaps] Adelaide, HK SAR, Bangalore,
  Paris, Moscow, and Kiev come immediately to mind)
- Common (income, payroll, property, excise) tax rates in the
  abovementioned areas

I originally had a Commonwealth bias in mind when I wrote these points of
request (since evolt is after all an English-language forum) but hell -
why not make it genuinely world wide?  *grin*

Also, for the purpose of any analysis I might report (using my long post
as a baseline), the following would be considered part of other classes of
liability:

- VAT/ST
- Private and postsecondary education fees
- Educational loan payments
- Car payments (perhaps restated as mileage?)
- License fees comparable to the TV license fee levied in the UK

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."