[thelist] Personal effluvia RE: [LONG] Cost of doing business was Re: [thelist] Whats it worth??

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Tue May 7 14:10:46 CDT 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Luther, Ron wrote:

> Wouldn't want to disappoint you Ben!
>
> ;-)
>
> I found it very well done. A pretty thorough and well reasoned analysis.
>
> I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thanks!  As I mentioned to Martin earlier offlist, life's been hell for me
lately... and it's frustrating to write things that just seem to spin off
into the ether.

<rant>

I dunno, man... it's strange.

People rave about how I write; I'll be the first to admit that I'm a
writer who builds Web sites.  If topnotch writing talent with WebDev
knowledge didn't fall so few and far between, I'd rather I was a brilliant
designer who also knew how to express himself when the circumstances
called for it (the inverse of the working system).

As a result of this dynamic positive personal attention from A-List folks
seems easy for me to come by, but lasting notoriety of a good kind does
not.  That's not to say that I want to be on the A-List... but the
professional leverage that comes from being a Name would sure be neat.

And then I pour myself into these e-mails.  When I'm lucky the thread will
follow with a "what he said" message, but most of the time the thread just
ends.  Splat.  I've begun to think that I'm a convo-stopper in a good way,
but...

Damn Netiquette.

</rant>

In other news...

There has been serious discussion recently that I might collaborate on
building a shop from the ground up with a friend of mine in Beaumont, an
endeavor which would certainly require me to move out to those parts
sometime this year.

At the present stage I'm finally starting to get excellent contacts here,
and similarly achieving a resigned peace with the shortcomings of my
relatives (one of my major goals when I moved back to Portland).  So my
enthusiasm isn't at 100%... the fact that Justin wants to kick off in a
seriously undercapitalized state also affects that.

Regardless, my desire to network verges on violent passion, and leaving
Portland is an option.

Since Beaumont is local to you IIRC, I thought that you might like to
know.

--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."