[thelist] Decoding web browser types in log files

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Tue May 7 17:28:01 CDT 2002

Message from Scott Sanders (5/7/2002 05:29 PM)
>Hello,
>
>When we look up their browser
>type in the server log (HTTP_USER_AGENT) to at least see what type of web
>browser they're using, often there is a code that we haven't seen before --
>something beyond the typical IE and Netscape codes.
>
>Even though I know it is very difficult for any one person/organization to
>compile a universal list of what must be thousands of HTTP_USER_AGENT codes,
>is there a decent list out there somewhere that I can reference?

Hi Scott,

You can take a look at this list
http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/browser_ids.htm

Also, check out BrowserHawk - http://www.cyscape.com/
It's not free, but I think there is a trial version.

>P.S.:  An example of a code we couldn't interpret: Mozilla/4.76
>[en]C-CCK-MCD EMS-1.5 (WinNT; U)

Netscape Navigator 4.76 on MS NT 4.0
[en] should mean it's an English-language browser. Not sure what the
uppercase string is, but I've seen it before.

regards.
-marc