[thelist] OT: e-commerce PayPal

Galen king_galen at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 22:16:01 CDT 2002

Uh huh :(  I have yet to have any problem with PayPal but had read those
warnings prior to using them on my site as a business member.

Of note...  There is a very easy way to bypass the PayPal service by
reviewing the source code, looking for "hidden return" value (not the cancel
value) and using the URL to go by the paid section straight to memebers or
download section. You can see some source code encrytion here and you list
members can have this free :) http://promote.fateback.com/source.htm

I also recommend that every time you have 50 or so dollars in there you take
it out and only leave a little bit of money in there. Just one complaint and
they will freeze your account for who knows how long...  I won't store more
then 100 dollars in there and when it hits somewhere around 50 I like to get
it deposited and only leave about 20 dollars in there.

There has also been scuttle butt around the rumor mill in the advertising
sector that PayPal may be going under but I am thinking that that is just
due to them trying to garner customers for some of the newer services that
are also being offered out there that are based on the same principles.

I use it, I don't mind it, I have never been "screwed" over (sorry about the
language if it is offensive but I am still new and hoping that that is
tollerable) by them, and I will continue to use them for as long as these
things remain the same. Of note, they (PayPal) do take a sizable chunk out
of your payments...  It is something like $1.50 on a 20 dollar payment (good
compared to some though) but in return you can get direct deposit to your
bank account for free.

There are many alternatives but they all have flaws, in all cases use
extreme caution and here is another thing that I think that I will be doing.
PayPal in the ToS is authorized by you to access your bank account...  Get a
seperate account JUST FOR ONLINE PAYMENTS!!!!  Please ask me in a week if I
have been smart enough to do this for my own business and if I haven't you
can yell at me and hit me with sticks! I really really really think that
this is essential.

After reviewing the sites that are listed below a while back I confronted
PayPal with the information on them giving them the chance to either confirm
or deny the content on the sites. Should any one be interested I still have
a copy of the automated responses that I got from them that led no where and
the letters that I sent to them (restricted to 700 characters btw)
requesting their side of the story. So much for that theory...

Your sales WILL improve with them...  Make sure your continue link does not
lead to an automated section or you will get ripped off...  As always, be
careful...  If you have any further questions I am free to accept mail at
this address as well so as to not interupt the flow of the mailing list.

KGIII