[thelist] Ethical issues concerning re-use (and heavy modification) of images

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Thu May 9 07:12:01 CDT 2002

Perhaps an apt case to quote here is that of Tony Stone against Stephen Arscott;
who copied a photograph by Nick Vedros for an element in his winning entry in
the 1994 CorelDRAW! illustration contest.

Basically, Stephen took the original image and made a vector 'copy' of it.
Arscott admitted the photo inspired his illustration, but claims he did not scan
the image.

According to the post I found on Google, a Canadian court rules that copyright
was infringed.

I'd also see:

That mentions the same case.

That again mention Corel and their use of an image of Hedy Lamarr.

Sadly I can't find any images of the original or Stephen's winning entry.

Andy W