[thelist] Ethical issues concerning re-use (and heavy modification) of images

Amy Clements amy.clements at legalservices.gov.uk
Thu May 9 10:48:01 CDT 2002

Martin said:

>The patent system worked when it operated as designed.
>However, as
>1) Patent authorities don't take account of prior art
    (*cough* 1 click)
>2) Patents are granted for discoveries, not just inventions
    ("cough* genes (existing ones, not altered ones))
>I'm not sure you can conclude that it doesn't have some major
>issues.

For a really wonderful example of the patent system at use, see http://news.com.com/2100-1023-885552.html?tag=cd_mh

To quote from the article:

"A 7-year-old Minnesota boy has patented a method for swinging side to side, meaning he could conceivably take playmates to court if they try his new trick without permission. "

Great system, eh?

Amy.