[thelist] how does XHTML/CSS seperate content from design more than using nested tables and the like?

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu May 9 14:29:00 CDT 2002

On Thursday, May 9, 2002, at 08:11  pm, Craig Saila wrote:

> > basic with mostly text. can anyone give me some examples of
> complicated
> > sites using CSS only?
>
> One of the catches is, with CSS, that a lot of sites need to be
> backwards compatible, and Netscape 4 makes it hard to do anything
> interesting.

"CSS pages are degradable, and CSS will create a useable page for any
and all browsers. CSS layout will be used only by those browsers which
support those features, but those using older browsers will still be
able to see your content. What you give up in absolute control over
layout in every browser you gain back in increased accessibility and
more useful documents."
http://developer.apple.com/internet/css/introcsslayout.html

With separation into HTML for content CSS layout, your content will be
usable *everywhere*, right down to PDAs and screenreaders, with
absolutely no rewriting of the HTML needed.

> The easiest way is to think of it as this:
> Both the Volkswagen Golf and the New Beetle share the same chassis,

As do the Audi TT, the Audi A3, the VW Bora, the Skoda Octavia &
the Seat Leon.

Meanwhile, the Skoda Fabia was the test platform for what has just
been launched as the VW Polo, and the Audi A4 and VW Passat are
basically the same car.

To bring that number of cars to market with individual engineering of
each one would never have been possible. Smart guys at VAG.

> but
> the bodies make the cars very different, HTML and CSS is the same.

That's a great analogy. Mind if I borrow it from time to time?

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,