[thelist] Advice on Getting That First Client

jyee jyee at vt.edu
Fri May 10 09:37:01 CDT 2002

I'm a college student who is home for the summer and looking to raise money
for a ministry project later this summer.  In order to do so, I thought that I
would put my newly acquired PHP and SQL skills to use in designing a website,
since that would pay significantly more than my day job right now.

The problem that I've found though, is that no one in my immediate area seems
to need a website right now.  I was wondering; what have you professionals
done in the past when you were starting out to attract clients.  I figure that
once I get started, I should be able to get referrals and a reputation, but
what's the key to attracting that first client?  If you could point me to any
tips or links, that would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Jackson Yee