[thelist] Advice on Getting That First Client

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Sat May 11 09:24:01 CDT 2002

On Saturday, May 11, 2002, at 03:11  pm, Belinda Johnson wrote:

> I agree 100%. I NEVER pick up the yellow pages to find information
> about a
> company. I would much rather see a "brochure site" with all the static
> information below than hunt through a book of telephone numbers.

Depends. How much do you know about the company? How much
do you *need* to know about the company?

Take the people who usually cut my hair - Cheynes here in
Edinburgh. If you want a good haircut/style in Edinburgh, you'll
know about Cheynes. You'll know that they have a few branches
in the city centre, and probably the location of at least one of them.

The only thing you won't know really is the phone number. So
the fastest way for me to find it is to go to http://www.yell.com/
and search there, rather than try to guess/find their URL. And
when I do a search on Yell, I'll get all of their branches, and find
the closest one (tell me the street name and I'll tell you exactly
where they are).

For an operation their size, probably a centralised online booking
system would make sense, particularly to find a slot *somewhere*
at short notice without having to call each branch separately. But
brochureware? Not for their customers.

http://www.butidontneedmytoothpastedelivered.com strikes
again.

Cheers