[thelist] [OT?] help with port filtering

Means, Eric D eric.d.means at boeing.com
Tue May 14 16:59:00 CDT 2002

That is correct.

> http : 80
> https : 443
> smtp : 25
> time service : (?)
> outlook web access (i'll guess that owa utilizes both http or https?)
> exchange2000, we only use smtp for sending mail, but i'm not sure if
> there are any other ports related to exchange 2k and say, outlook web
> access that i should be aware of.
> dns : (?)
> dhcp : (?)

Are you sure you want to allow DHCP requests in/out?  Do you not have a
local DHCP server, or are you wanting to service DHCP requests from the
external Internet (bad idea, btw)?

<tip type="Port Numbers" author="Eric Means">
Need to know what port a known service uses?  Try RFC 1700, Assigned
Numbers:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1700.html
</tip>