[thelist] XML data storage

Chris Marsh chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Wed May 15 05:31:00 CDT 2002

Dear all

I have to store user account details for update and retrieval, and
cannot use a database. I am thinking about using XML, and have come up
with the following document:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE Idlenet:UserAccounts>
<Idlenet:UserAccounts xmlns:Idlenet='http://www.idlenet.com'>
	<Idlenet:username name="chrism">
		<Idlenet:password>password</Idlenet:password>
		<Idlenet:telephone></Idlenet:telephone>
		<Idlenet:address1></Idlenet:address1>
		<Idlenet:address2></Idlenet:address2>
		<Idlenet:address3></Idlenet:address3>
		<Idlenet:county></Idlenet:county>
		<Idlenet:postcode></Idlenet:postcode>
		<Idlenet:authlevel></Idlenet:authlevel>
		<Idlenet:status></Idlenet:status>
	</Idlenet:username>
</Idlenet:UserAccounts>

I then add new username nodes with all child nodes for new customer
accounts. When logging in, I search for the correct username, and
validate against the password.

If this is a sensible way to go, which is the best way to search an XML
document for a particular username? I'm using ASP.NET...

If this is not a sensible way to go, perhaps someone could give me a
nudge in the right direction.

TIA

Chris Marsh