[thelist] Email news to a website

Michiel Trimpe M.B.Trimpe at student.tue.nl
Thu May 16 13:40:01 CDT 2002

Hello Michael,

MG> Is there any freely-available perl script that would allow a user to email a
MG> piece of news to a certain email address, and the script would automatically
MG> parse the mail and 'post' it to a news page on the server?

Not that I know of. If you want to program it yourself you could look
at Mail::POP3Client on cpan.org. It'll allow you to easily get the body
from a mail message in a POP3 account. (or Mail::IMAPClient for an
IMAP account)

That way all you'll have to do is set up a CRON-job (yes, i know) and
let it run through the mailbox, getting all the bodies and formatting
them the way you want to and then delete all the mails in the mailbox.
Make sure you put a lock and a timeout on it though since these are
typically things that hang for 10 minutes and if your cron-script runs
every three minutes it might triple-post items, if you get my point.

If you really want to, I have a script that did the same but sent the
copies via SMS to a phone. I could look it up somewhere, even though I
don't think it'll be of much more use to you than Mail::POP3Client.

--
Best regards,
 Michiel                            mailto:M.B.Trimpe at student.tue.nl