[thelist] ASP equivalent to CFML question

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov
Fri May 17 10:20:01 CDT 2002

Nagrom,

It's more powerful because it allows you to build an *arbitrary* level of
hierarchical recordsets using *arbitrarily* complex sub-queries. Neither are
possible in CF, AFAIK.

In CF, you are somewhat limited with how many levels down you can go (I'm
not sure what the limit is -- any CF experts know?), and your query is
limited to what you can express with a single SELECT. Essentially, CF is
working behind the scenes to make a simple SELECT look like a hierarchical
recordset. In ASP, you're getting a "true" hierarchy with the ability to
branch off in sub-queries in ways that are difficult or impossible to
express with straight JOINS or GROUPS.

Jonathan.