[thelist] Embedding PHP in XHTML files

David Bindel dbindel at austin.rr.com
Sat May 18 22:36:01 CDT 2002

I'm just now learning PHP, but I'm having a problem on something that should
be really simple.

Here's my file, test.php:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
<head>
</head>

Apparently, the XML declaration on the first line (<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>) is messing PHP up:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test.php
on line 1

When I remove the XML declaration on the first line, the PHP works fine, but
I also throw out my XHTML 1.1 compliance with it.

Surely someone has run into this problem before and knows how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,
David Bindel