[thelist] Switching to Macs

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon May 20 09:15:01 CDT 2002

Sorry, playing catch up here.

Dan wrote:
> 1) He has to base his peripheral purchases entirely on what is
> available with appropriate mac drivers, which seriously limits choice

Rarely an issue with USB and Firewire (Firewire is better supported on
the Mac side of the house)

> 2) His websites have colour problems (though Im sure that could be
> tweaked if he could be bothered)

Macs have impeccable colour management when set up correctly. If Win
machines don't see things correctly, then is that a Mac issue?
Possibly... Of course, you can set up a Mac to use Win gamma if you
really want.

> 3) The choice of software simply isnt available. Sure like everybody
> says, Adobe M$ and Macromedia have identical clones on both platforms
> but wht about
> shareware???  There is no doubt that the range of programs is simply
> not available.

Suprisingly yes, if not mounted on cover CDs. And of course, with OSX,
most anything from the Unix house is available.

> Oh and Macs are much more stylish.... though my vaio is cute too

Sony wants to be Apple and vice versa, and for good business reasons
(simply put, you can't build a lasting advantage on specs or price
because you will be beaten. You have to do something different, and both
Apple and Sony have gone for 'desirable consumer device')

Cheers
Martin

   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,