[thelist] Switching to Mac

Freda Lockert freda.lockert at btinternet.com
Mon May 20 13:20:01 CDT 2002

>When I initiated the discussion, it was as a result of having been
>troubleshooting Windows OS issues for about a week. Mind you this is not my
>regular job description, but it always comes up as a required extra since
>the dang things are down so often. Am I the only one who thinks this is
>completely unacceptable?

No, you're not. I think this is completely unacceptable, too. Downtime
because of Windows' unreliability was the  cause of my switching to Mac
almost three years ago. I'd had Windows as my OS since 3.1, and was then
on NT4, and the unreliability and futzing needed was growing with each
successive 'upgrade'.

I'm a sole trader and at the time my business was entirely print design
(80% of it still is), and the decision to switch to something more
reliable was one of my business's survival. I costed the amount of
downtime, and the figures were frightening. Based on the amount of time I
was recording on specific computer problems, the investment was returned
in six months, and I kept the PC which is now used for web testing.

What I'm happiest working with 60 hours a week is far more important to
me than what my clients use.

Freda