[thelist] Re: Thanks for recommending Phorum... comment on the DOS print tip

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Mon May 20 13:21:00 CDT 2002

Well, as it happens I did download Phorum during my long search for a suitable forum. The version I downloaded has its instructions in
French, however. Although I took French 4 years in high school, that was more than 30 years ago! Maybe I'll try it anyway, or search for a
version with English instructions.
  ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Regarding the printing tip for getting a listing of files one could plainly see in an Explorer window: Yes, of course that DOS command will
work, but with the same limitations (and none of the advantages) as opening my old XyWrite (for Windows 3.1). At least with XyWrite I
can move the cursor (with cursor movement keys) and have the CD command on the command line, then drill down into the full path by
pressing F9 (execute command on command line). With the DOS trick, I have to work out (or somehow simultaneously be looking at) the
listing so I can figure out (or TRY to figure out!) what the 8-letter version of each part of the full path statement will be. AND, of course, the
DOS list will have the same limitations: extensions (of my SHTML or HTML files) corrupt even my careful 8-letter filenames.

In short, it's a lot easier with XyWrite, because of path names. And, when I've reached the correct directory, and entered the DIR
command for my listing, I have the additional advantage over the DOS method that I'm already in my word processor, so at least I can fix
the list names immediately.

Cheers --
C. Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com