[thelist] Desparate, Please Help: Memory Problem [OT]

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Tue May 21 00:20:00 CDT 2002

Please help me. I am desparate and really have no place else to turn for
some advice.

I am having some problems with my computer, specifically the memory, I
guess. Here is the error that I keep getting:

The instruction at "0x0026c70e" referenced memory at "0x4a372851". The
memory could not be "written".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on Cancel to debug the program.

I do not know any computer engineers who can help me with this problem,
so I turn to this most intenlligent and all knowing group.

If this a ram problem, a hard drive problem, what? I have run a memory
test program - memtest86 - and it found 9 errors while it was going
through test #10. This is a very high level test and is only included as
part of the extended tests. If I run the default tests, I get zero (0)
errors.

Currently, I am getting the error everytime I run a particular program -
combustion - and go and try to import footage. This is a new behaviour
for this program. I also get the error at random points in time as well
along with having programs just slow down on me for no apparent reason -
Maya being the main culprit.

I realize this is off topic, however, short of spending several hundred
dollars on proper diagnostics, this is really the only place I know of
to go for advice. So, if you do not have an answer but you know of a
better place to look for a solution, please pass that along as well.

Thank you for your help

/chris

<tip>
Unless you are a computer engineer or are A+ certified, always buy a
computer from someplace that offers extened warranties. Then you will
not be dead in the water with no hope when you computer starts to die on
you.
</tip>

I HATE COMPUTERS #@$#@$#@$#@$