[thelist] SQL Joins - ANSI 92 syntax

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Wed May 22 03:34:01 CDT 2002

rudy wrote:

>actually, the standard sql inequality operator is <>

touche!

>       FROM table1 INNER JOIN table2
>           ON table1.two_id = table2.two_id
>                AND table2.two_name <> 'George'
>

>which might run faster (your mileage may vary) because rows from table2 can
>be eliminated by the join operation (which could be using indexes) before
>candidate rows are returned to the WHERE logic

Neat-o!  Nothing I've read has mentioned the possibility of putting
additional limiting clauses into the FROM.  I probably won't try to code
anything this way unless I am working with the inner loop of an Omega-3
order of complexity or some such, where the difference in performance
could show, but that is a fascinating tidbit.

And its probably time for my first tip.

<tip author="Steve Lewis" subject="Windows and IIS web server security">
When working with a Windows NT/2k server, running IIS, be sure to remove
the application mappings that you do not use.

Select a website, select properties.  Click the Home Directories tab,
and click the Configuration.  Now in the Application Configuration menu,
under the app mappings tab, you will see a number of extensions and
executable paths and verbs.  If you do not use an extension listed here,
remove it.

If you do this now, than there are fewer places for buffer overflows and
other subtle exploits to hide which you will need to patch in the future.
</tip>

--Steve