[thelist] RE: [ - Examples of Importing XML into Netscape or Mozilla? - ]

Haag, Jason haagj at ctcgsc.org
Wed May 22 14:04:06 CDT 2002

hermithaag wrote:

It makes me wonder. Microsoft has developed a lot of 'extensions'
to the DOM, as they are called. Some of which SHOULD probably be standards.

Like you said, what are the redeeming qualities? Is Microsoft too advanced,
or is this some type of deviant strategy of theirs? The W3C has Microsoft
developers on
board, but are they creating extnsible features because they know developers
will get angry and denounce Netscape? It almost seems suspicious. A press
release about NS 7 was announced
today and it is available for download preview.

http://media.aoltimewarner.com/media/press_view.cfm?release_num=55252594

I would hope they remove this whitespace feature(I wouldn't call it a
feature unless
someone could prove otherwise) before the NS 7 release.
There just aren't enough sites (besides yours) that demonstrate successful
use
of the DOM. There is a lot of Microsoft propoganda out there(several sites
using
the 'extensions to the DOM', and I'm not sure  that it will be overcome.

http://www.devguru.com/

>From my reading on several developer discussion boards during the past
several months,
a lot of people are referencing these examples.
If NS ever wants to reclaim it's share of the browser market aside from the
AOL browser incoporation/conversion,
they should play the propoganda game or at least demonstrate some easily
implemented examples for developers.

ppk wrote:

IE Win does not, IE Mac does. I vaguely heard that Netscape is thinking of
removing this feature since it only leads to problems and has no redeeming
qualities whatsoever.

hermithaag wrote:

I have recently been successful in importing XML into both browsers. The
reason why the browsers were returning different lengths and a major and
very
important difference is that Netscape and Mozilla report the whitespace
nodes(newlines) after each tag; IE does not. Netscape/Mozilla does that
because
XML requires strict whitespace handling.