[thelist] RE: [ - Examples of Importing XML into Netscape or Mozilla? - ]

Michael KImsal michael at tapinternet.com
Wed May 22 18:39:01 CDT 2002

Peter Thoenen wrote:

>Maybe I am missing something here but what does any
>web browser have to do web applications or the way
>they are designed (other than the visual client
>frontend).  I routinely develop web applications that
>work in any browser the client wants to use whether
>its Lynx, IE, Moz, or some wierd custom perl browser
>for Amiga (if such exists :).  As long as the browser
>supports HTTP1.0 my applications will work.  I just
>don't see where you are coming from stating Mozilla
>hurts web developers..since I don't see how in any
>they the interop.
>
>Note: I do not consider Web Designers to be web
>devolpers.  Web developers build web applications, web
>designsers build sites.
>
>>From a web designer point... Mozilla is way more
>friendly to web designers.  IE needs to get its IE /
>Windows tags  out of its *ss.

 From a web designer point of view, each only render whatever tags you
put in them.
Dunno what these 'IE' tags you're talking about are, as I generally just
use HTML.

Here's a test for you.

Develop a form which POSTs  some data back to the same URL.
Have that script output some information to the browser.
Using Mozilla as your browser, do a 'VIEW SOURCE'.

The "view source" will do a 'get' again on the URL, resulting
in the source you're looking at being different from what the browser
rendered.

Printing is the same, and it's even worse with printing because I can't
print gzipped data (I like to compress stuff to keep the bandwidth bill
low).
Actually, I retract that - the latest mozillas I believe do print
gzipped data
properly.

It's a 'known' issue for about 4 years now, with, sad to say, no fix in
site.