[thelist] CMS

Nicole P nicole at parrot.ca
Thu May 23 08:23:00 CDT 2002

Off the top of my head, and from this project I've been wanting to do for
years, but never got the time..

1. It's possible an article may belong to more than one category. You want
your visitors to find the articles as quickly as possible, so articles must
have as much visibility as possible.
2. Your front page should reflect the latest articles to be approved for a
specific period of time. Visitors can see in one glance if there's something
new they want to read.
3. Some articles may be more important than others and should be listed
first, even though they're not the latest ones to be approved.
4. Visitors may want to access all articles written by a specific author, so
plan for a dynamic list of articles per author.
5. Following that, an article may have more than one author.
6. Plan on keeping track of how many times an article's requested. Authors
love that :)
7. Keep track of the work editors do. Some editors will work more than
others, some will not work at all and need to be replaced.
8. Plan for a mail notice each time an article is submitted (editors need to
know when there's work for them), and plan for statistics on how long
articles are waiting for approval.  Also plan for some notification system
if an article's been waiting for too long for approval. Things tend to fall
between the cracks something, and you need a tracking system to help avoid
that.
9. Authors will need a way to query about the status of an article. Reasons
why it's not approved yet, changes made to it, etc...

I have a bunch of stuff also to handle multimedia submission, but I'll keep
those till you're ready to tackle that area of the CMS.