[thelist] Re: Quality Control, etc. of MS products

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Thu May 23 13:36:01 CDT 2002

ashok at magicalkenya.com wrote:
> In the Nt4 days i would tend to agree with accusations against MS about
> poor/lack of  quality control -- but off late (more precisely since win2k
> came out) things have  improved noticeably.

I don't know where you have come to your understanding, but 12 months
ago, there were more known security exploits in Win2k than in WinNT and
Win 98 combined.  I believe that data is also available somewhere in the
depths of the archives at securityfocus.  That tends to suggest to me
that nothing has improved noticeably.

Add to that fact that securityfocus was NOT counting each and every
exploit that takes advantage of VBS scripting and MS Outlook (aka email
viruses)--that MS refuses to fix in a mature way.

"Statistics are like bikinis.  What they reveal is suggestive, but what
they conceal is vital."

--Steve