[thelist] IIS file/directory access

Joel Morris joelm at citycent.com
Thu May 23 22:00:01 CDT 2002

I have a client that needs to be able to deliver .doc and .pdf files
to users, but only after they have registered.

The concern  is that once one user knows the link to the document -
like "http://www.somedomain.com/files/thefile.pdf", then they could
give that link out to anybody.

I've done plenty of "password protected" pages with ASP, but since
these are not .asp pages that solution doesn't work.

What I'm looking for is the same function as .htaccess on a
Linux/Apache system, but on an IIS 4.0/NT 4.0 server.

As I understand it, NT Challenge/Response isn't really a solution
since there will be hundreds (thousands maybe) of users needing to
download these files, but they should not/could not be added as users
on the NT server.

Any ideas or references on how to solve this?

Best, Joel Morris
CityCenter Co.
Website Development & Marketing
http://www.citycent.com