[thelist] Request for Perl Code Reviewers / Bug Hunters?

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri May 24 10:08:03 CDT 2002

Mmkay. I'm looking Perl people to lend an extra pair of eyeballs to a
largish program (2000+ lines), in the hunt for idiocies, dumb Morbusisms,
and bugs I haven't discovered, errors I haven't catered to, or what have you.

It's a non-paying gig, but it's open source software, so I'll certainly
include your name in shining lights somewhere. Contact me offlist if you're
interested.

<tip author="morbus at disobey.com">
If you're coding a Perl program that uses its own lib/ directory, or really
*any* relative subdirectory, then you'll do yourself some good to look into
a module called "FindBin":

   # where are we?
   use FindBin qw($Bin);
   BEGIN { unshift(@INC,"$Bin/lib") }

Instead of "use lib" or "use Cwd", FindBin will determine the full path to
your script, not just the current working directory. Using FindBin will
stop this stuff from happening:

   # program works happily.
   cd /usr/bin/program
   ./program.pl

   # program fails due to not finding
   # a lib directory in a statement like
   # "use lib 'lib'" or my $dir = getcwd;
   cd /tmp
   /usr/bin/program/program.pl
</tip>

--
Morbus Iff ( i'm the droid you're looking for )
Tech: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/779 - articles and weblog