[thelist] Site feedback

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Fri May 24 10:49:01 CDT 2002

Magnus,

Like Mike said, adding a bit of that orange to the links on top would
tighten things up really well.

Come to think of it, I bet if you added that lil' bit of orange to all
pages it would brighten things up a bit and bring the bottom and top of
the pages together.

Personally I'd like to see more screen space used. I'm looking at the
site at 1280*1024 resolution and 1200*1000 screen space and there is too
much white space in the wrong areas. Maybe you can fiddle with a more
fluid layout?

Also, images are killing loading times. Both Opera and Konqueror tend to
be pretty fast, but it took them a while to load all the images. Maybe
keeping the top bar as an image and relegating the rest of the top links
to text would help. (DSL line here, and still slowish)

I took a look at the mark-up as well. This might not be important to
you, but wrapping the text at somewhere between 80 (preferrable) and 120
(workable) chars.

Opera 6 and Konqueror 3
Resolution: 1280*1024 (1200*1000)
Red Hat Linux 7.3
kernel 2.4.18-4

<tip type="Linux web servers" author="Samir M. Nassar">
Want to speed up serving web pages on a Linux/Apache system?

Look into TUX from Red Hat. It is an in-kernel web server for Linux.

Analysis (HTML): http://makeashorterlink.com/?V27615EE
Analysis (PDF): http://makeashorterlink.com/?V39614EE

It might just give you what you are looking for.
</tip>

Samir M. Nassar
--
RedConcepts.NET              --  Open Solutions Design Syndicate
Open Source, Public Service  --  the Art and Craft of Webdesign