[thelist] OT: what to do with virus warning?

Syed Zeeshan Haider szh at hotpop.com
Fri May 24 11:12:00 CDT 2002

Hi Peter,
This virus is indeed very dangerous and intelligent. It is just using
your e-mail address to send it-self from some other computer. To trace
the sender computer, one should look at "return-path" in the headers of
the viral mail. It can be explained in this way:

One of your friends has got W32.Klez.H at mm on his machine. This virus
creates a blank e-mail with two viral attachments, chooses an address
from the computer's address book and puts it in "From" field and sends
the mail using your friends account and machine. Sometimes this virus
grabs your address also from your friend's address book to put in "From"
field. It uses attractive subject lines like "A good tool for you" etc.
It uses pornographic subjects also. I have been receiving many e-mails
with this virus that is why I know a lot about it. It often disables the
anti-viruses. Somebody in TheChat called it anti-antivirus virus. It
also prevents live update of AV. I don't know much about Mcaffee AV
because I am using Norton AV. But both Mcaffee and Norton
(http://www.symantec.com/) have put small chunks on their web sites to
fight out this virus independent of the original AV on the system.
Therefore, you can use anyone. I used Norton AV and downloaded it from
http://www.symantec.com/. It sized 132KB.

Now do following things:
1.    Downloaded AV chunk from any site Mcaffee or Norton and run it on
your machine as instructed by the company.
2.    Alert all of your friends and relatives about this virus and ask
them to download and run AV chunks.
If they have virus, it is most probable that this virus is sending
it-self using your address from their computers and the recipients will
blame you for this as they will see your address in "From" field.
If you have this virus then maybe your computer is also sending viral
mails using others' addresses.
Hope this helps.
Syed Zeeshan Haider.
http://syedzeeshanhaider.faithweb.com/