[thelist] force bookmark url

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 24 15:10:02 CDT 2002

> From: Natalie Klein <nkle at lle.rochester.edu>
>
> Is there a way to tell a browser to use a URL different from the one
> that appears in the address field when a user bookmarks your page
> without using a button in the body of the page or frames?

not that i am aware of... thankfully... imagine the potential hassle
from bookmarking an article on CNN only to have it go to the Time
magazine site...

> Further explanation:
> We are going to use a random page loading script for our site index
> (basic content will be the same, just different images & captions
> based on a theme). The url that appears in the address bar is
> currently .../index01.html, .../index02.html etc. We would like our
> users to continue to have the random page load even after they
> bookmark the site. Any thoughts?

my initial thought is that you might want to reconsider how you
serve up random pages...

it sounds like a user gets redirected, whether by a server-side 302
header, or a client-side JS redirect... not only can that cause
problems for search engines, you're completely reliant on having a
whole buncha pages...

is it possible to have one page that has randomly selected content
stuffed into it from the server?

for example, at algonquinstudios.com, we use one home page
template that randomly pulls the details and image of a case study
into the template, so even if you bookmark it, you're going to get
new content each time... and there's no redirect, no JS, no client-
side work at all... totally SE friendly, too...

dunno if that helps any...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself