[thelist] Determining if an ASP is really an ASP file

Chris Marsh chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Mon May 27 11:39:01 CDT 2002

[..]
> Looking at the page, it's not obvious to me that there are
> db-driven elements on the page, but there could well be.  It
> could also be the case, I guess, that the page was generated
> offline and uploaded, but I assume if this was the case, the
> page would have an HTML extenstion.

[..]

While you lose performance by having an entire site ASP as opposed to
merely the pages that require it, many sites have SSIs on every page
containing code to check for cookies, session collection item values,
application collection item values etc. If you have a site that is
predominantly ASP with .htm pages included you will have to alter links
and possibly lose a customer hir bookmarks if you wish to introduce
server-side fuctionality to one of the .htm pages. HTH

Regards

Chris Marsh