[thelist] Determining if an ASP is really an ASP file

Chris Marsh chrism at puffofsmoke.net
Mon May 27 13:28:01 CDT 2002

Michele

[..]

> Just checked my host's support files .. and they don't list
> .stm nor .shtml files as default.  I thought those were just
> for Apache servers?

If someone else has control of your server they may well have configured
it differently. My vanilla installation of IIS5 parses .shtml, .shtm and
.stm files for includes. If you right click on the web server in
question in the IIS console, go to "Home Directory" and then
"Configuration" you will see all files that are parsed by ssinc.dll; by
default these being files with the extensions previously mentioned.
AFAIK the file extensions are convention only, if you want to configure
your server so that all files with the .michele suffix are parsed for
Active Server content and SSIs, you could do so.

HTH

Regards

Chris Marsh