[thelist] javascript newbie need a hand

Gauthier@PlacidSound gauthier at placidsound.com
Tue May 28 05:27:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I'm just starting experimentation with javascript, here is an attached html file to illustrate my post, the idea is to have a simple DOM compliant manipulable menu base on <ul> and <li> tags.
I've defined 2 function:
    hideChilds(elm) wich take an elements and hide all the child tags elements
    showChilds(elm) that does the oposite of hideChilds

Currently 2 problems occurs:
    -I'm unable to replace accurately the onclick event of the 'elm' parameters of my functions
    -clicking on a child <li> fire onclick of parent <li>

so two questions:
    -how can I set the elm.onclick property (should I call it a property???) to call the oposite function?
    -how can I avoid onclick event of parents elements (try clicking on a submenu item)

I've added an alert at the end of each functions as checking purpose
I've commented my last instruction that reaffect the elm.onclick property

Thanks alot for any hint

Gauthier

PS: I'm totally newbie to DOM manipulations, so please be tolerant ;)
--
[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

menu1
menu2