[thelist] .NET Postback

Mike King mike.king at redroom.co.uk
Tue May 28 10:29:01 CDT 2002

Chris,

I can't help you, but I can give you a little 'metoo' on the 'can't get the
spaghetti out of my head' feeling.
ASP.NET is cool and all that, I've followed some great examples. But, it's
the mind-set change to a strictly typed language that is tricky.
Something simple, like checking whether the QueryString has got anything in
it...
In ASP.OLD (I like that term, I'll steal it if I may?)

<%
Dim strQS
strQS = Request.QueryString()

If strQS = "" Then
  ' Do nothing
Else
  ' Do something
End If
%>

But, ASP.NET... the Request.QueryString object is now a
NameValueCollection, if you try to check that in the same way... BOOM! No
dice, can't be changed into a string...
OK,
strQS = Request.QueryString.AllKeys
makes strQS into an array, but _only_ if you've got a minimun of one
name:value pair eg. file.aspx?name=value
If there's just a string eg. file.aspx?command it doesn't work! I still
can't work this one out, and it's the main crux to my 'test out' ASP.NET
application.

Ho hum
mk