Coding for intranets (was RE: [thelist] Color Chooser Review -- c orrection)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed May 29 13:51:01 CDT 2002

> From: "Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>
[...]
> You could head over to your browser right now, find 50 big businesses
> online operating some kind of e-commerce model that does not offer the
> disabled (blind or deaf or anything else) access. Then you can get
> your high powered lawyer and sue them all.
>
> That won't change the fact that companies (like where I work) will
> continue to build applications just like we are now for a long time.
> Profit is the motive (right or wrong, facts jack.)
>
> And regardless of said laws, which you can quote over and over again,
> they simply aren't always follwed. Again, I don't say wrong or right,
> I'm just stating my experience over the past 9 years in this industry.
[...]

just because they haven't been sued doesn't mean they won't...
that justification is that if they haven't been caught, it's all good...

that is flawed logic... judgments of what is right/wrong, legal/illegal
shouldn't be made based on likelihood of being caught or potential
expense from litigation...

so, knowing this, wouldn't it be good to take that first step?  to help
guide them the right way?

of course, i say this with the <label> issue still in my head, since a
<label> can be coded in a snap, without any extra client work,
whereas using the method you've used necessitates client-side
script and processing power, and regular checking as new versions
get rolled out...

sometimes simple is better, faster, cheaper, and more accessible...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself