[thelist] Overlapping CSS <div> problem

Andy Warwick mailing.lists at creed.co.uk
Wed May 29 17:49:01 CDT 2002

Any CSS gurus on the list care to take a look at a page that's giving me real
headaches?

    <http://development.creed.co.uk/greenkeeper.htm>

I'm really, really close to a tableless, accessible, fluid layout that degrades
nicely with stylesheets turned off, but I'm having problems when the text on the
page runs shorter than the sidebar.

The sidebar is a <div> with a position:absolute setting, so it sits in the
margin of the content <div>, that is in the normal flow of the document.

As you can see, when the content text runs shorter than my sidebar, the footer
is pulled up and tucks behind the sidebar; any suggestions how I force the
footer down so it runs below the longer of the two <div>'s - content or sidebar
- or do I simply cop out and make sure the text is always longer than the
sidebar?

While you're there, if you can see if the layout breaks in any browsers, or
doesn't work with CSS off or in text browsers that would be great.

There's a screenshot of what it *should* look like at:

    <http://development.creed.co.uk/greenkeeper.gif>

TIA

Andy W