[thelist] controlling tooltips in IE

Brad Miller beldamar at beldamar.com
Thu May 30 20:45:02 CDT 2002

I am having some issues with the amount of time tooltips are displayed in
IE.
My solution here does not need to extend to browsers other than IE 5+.

I have about 15 machines with IE 5.5 sp2 and some of them display the
tooltips indefinitely and others the tooltip disappears within about 5
seconds. I need the tooltips to stay until the onmouseout but every attempt
to find any information on the time they are displayed has been futile.

I looked at some sample code out there for displaying them with JavaScript
but that won't work for my application.
The pages are actually being created in a markup language that we created
for my company and then html, jsp, and pdf files are created from the master
file. so in order to use JavaScript to control the entire tooltip process I
would need to rework a lot of other things, and I am trying to avoid that at
all costs.

However if there was a way to control it with JavaScript that would only
require me to access the title attribute that would work.

I have about 2000 files that already have about 20-30 title attributes
placed with the appropriate information.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Brad Miller
www.beldamar.com