[thelist] [HW] Re: <spacer>

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri May 31 11:10:00 CDT 2002

> From: Daniel Fascia <danfascia at totalise.co.uk>
>
> OK, let me be brutal here, I couldnt give a shit about text
> browsers... No client has ever approached me asking for a site that
> looks sexy in Lynx!

and if they did, ASCII art would be all the rage...

> Sure, I will use ALT properties (though never on spacers) and other
> accesibility tags which should make my site intelligible for those
> with images off or on text browsers but NEVER will I set out making a
> design for bloody Lynx...

to meet both HTML and WAI guidelines, you have to use alt on
spacers...

the added benefit is that it makes the design work well for Lynx...
IOW, don't worry about Lynx, design to the specs and Lynx will
take care of itself...

read 1.1 at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#conformance
"Provide a text equivalent for every non-text element (e.g., via "alt",
"longdesc", or in element content). This includes: [...] images used
as list bullets, spacers, [...]."

read 13.8 at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-alt
"The alt attribute must be specified for the IMG and AREA
elements."

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself