[thelist] Re: Advice on page format

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Sat Jun 1 01:31:01 CDT 2002

Hi, Rebecca --

I've been away from evolt a few days... In the process of moving. (-8

I had the same design problem (conceptually) in creating the Friend's
Web site (for Charlotte Friends Meeting): How to let everyone see
everything they can get to, without making them scroll down very long
lists. My solution (warning: ugly table kludge!) was to code a series
of organized drop-down menus along the top of the site's pages
(example, charlottefriendsmeeting.org).

I believe you could also code it, more elegantly, using CSS -- at least
along one side of the page. To copy my approach, divide up your lists
into reasonably organized sublists, then go get a script called
Jumpncnt from an ingenious fellow in Australia. Caveat: since I'm not
familiar with the way browsers for the blind interprete drop-down
menus, I can't be sure this approach is accessible. We're a small
meeting, with a few deaf folk (quite a few elderly members), and at
least one is color-blind (luckily, he was the one I asked to test the
site for me as I was deciding on colors!), but we have no blind members.

One other point about Jumpncnt: it uses an @referer variable for
security, so if browsers come to your site through a frame, they'll see
an error message. But for a college department's site, that would
probably be common.

Btw, note that it *doesn't matter* whether people realize what page
they're on. On my own site, accesswriters.com (not yet publicly open,
but pre-CSS version practically finished), the bookshop is actually 2
pages. The shelf link currently depends on whether you've picked a
fiction or non-fiction subject (internal links across two pages). When
we have more books, I fully intend to use the same approach accross
several pages. I doubt many browsers notice the address bar switches to
bookshp2.shtml for the non-fiction shelves -- and if they do, it
doesn't matter!
_________