[thelist] configuring cvs diff?

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Sat Jun 1 14:31:00 CDT 2002

> TortoiseCVS and WinCVS both support external diff programs and so if you
> can use them instead of cygwin's cvs it might be a different/better/worse
> solution for you.
> I've used TortoiseCVS and once you get the hang of it, it's cool.

I've used winCVS and gone back to the command line in disgust (many
crashes and possibly one of the worst GUIs I've come acrss). TortoiseCVS
is new to me. I'm taking a look at it now, many thanks for the pointer

Sam

more freebie tips: (I know all this is fairly on topic, but I've had my
head under for the last few months and find myself with lots to say)

<tip type="Batching CVS commands in windows" author="Sam-I-Am">
using a console CVS client in windows is alternately a rewarding and
infuriating experience. Use batch files to minimize your pain.
Instead of pecking out "CVS add filename" for each and every file you
create (in the web world we make lots of files!) create a batch file to
do the same in only a few steps:

cvs update in the directory(s) you've added files in. This gives you a
list like so:
? filename01.html
? filename02.html
etc..
select them (hit enter to copy to the clipboard), paste them into a text
file. Edit as needed, and then replace "? " with "CVS add ".  Save as
e.g. cvsbatch.bat and back in the console just run cvsbatch. (add
binaries with "add -kb filename.gif")

CVS commit -m"your comment" will commit all modified files in the
current directory and any subdirectories. If you want to be more
specific though you can modify the batch file:
replace "CVS add " with "CVS commit -m'your comment' " save, and re-run
the batch file.

</tip>