[thelist] Special chars on web pages

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Sun Jun 2 06:43:01 CDT 2002

One of my clients reports that certain special characters, which MS Word
outputs when saving documents as web pages, do not appear the same on all
PCs.  The characters in question are 'directed' quotemarks, both single and
double (by 'directed' I mean the ones that curve to the left at the
beginning of the quote and to the right at the end of the quote) and long
dashes.

On some systems these characters show up fine on screen and in print, but on
other systems, the appear as question marks.  One reader with the question
mark problem reported further that he has IE 6.0.

Here is a page from the site:
http://www.thirtysevenbooks.com/Chassidut/Shlach5762.1.htm
which has all 5 characters in question in the first 3 lines.

Any assistance as to how to rectify this is much appreciated.  The idea
would be if we could figure out how to prevent MS Word from using or
outputting these characters because all of the writers use MS Word.  I,
however, do not use MS Word and don't know it.

Thanks,
Hershel