[thelist] Special chars on web pages

jcanfield at magisnetworks.com jcanfield at magisnetworks.com
Mon Jun 3 11:52:00 CDT 2002

> you got entities on the brain, pal   ;o)
>
> the characters hershel refers to are the single and double
> curly quotes (nyuk, nyuk) and the emdash

And you've got curly on yours. (actual useful comments below)

> me and msword don't get along too well -- recall my
> frustrated plea for help recently, trying to get it not to
> capitalize the first character
>
> finding the msword option "don't use any characters in the
> decimal range 129 through 159" will likely be as painful

Musta missed your plea, to which I would never turn a deaf ear -

Autocorrect options - turn off the stupid 'capitalize first word of
sentences you cringing insignificant milksop!' rule. (I've got Office XP, so
it's 'Tools | Autocorrect Options' and uncheck the box.)

You can also create 'autocorrect' rules (hah! As in jiu jitsu, turn the
attacker's power against himself!) and substitute a correct, rational,
non-stupid entity for each of the offensive MS-ly stupid entities.

BTW, getting this TEXT ONLY NO FORMATTING e-mail to accept 'MS-ly' took
quite a bit of effort. And I'm still not sure it'll send like that.

joel